Sunday, January 16, 2011

Second Verse, Different than the First

I wasn't raised on leftovers. Sure, sometimes yesterday's pot roast beefed up (no pun intended) tomorrow's stroganoff, and mashed potatoes were made in bulk to last an entire week, but that was pretty much it. Wasteful though it is, yesterday's lasagna went into the fridge to become next week's trash. The newest addition to my Domestic MFer Skill Set is the desire and ability to utilize leftovers. My husband used chili as a condiment on pretty much everything for a week straight after I made a big vat. I had lasagna for lunch for a whole week (when I wasn't also busy finding things on which to pour chili).

We're having the most fun with the leftover spicy pulled pork. I had a serious lapse in judgment when I didn't take any pictures of the cooking process on Friday. It was a fun and interesting one, but my brother and sister-in-law were visiting with their new wittle bitty baby that day. So I guess I did take a lot of pictures that day, but they were all of sleeping, yawning, pooping, farting cuteness. And that's just my brother I'm talking about. Kidding.

So this pulled pork was amazing. I used a very simple recipe and roasted it in my dutch oven for longer than recommended and at a lower temperature than recommended. This resulted in the greatest pulled porch sandwiches ever seen this side of the Mason-Dixon. The success of the endeavor and how much it was enjoyed by my family makes me confident I'll make it again, hopefully when an adorable newborn won't distract me from documenting it for you. I'm getting off track. The point (if there is one) of all this is that I was left with a tupperware container full of pulled pork and another full of homemade coleslaw.

So I put a tortilla in a nonstick skillet and topped it with a generous handful of mozzarella cheese.

Then grab your Sriracha and put on a few dots -- or more if you like things hot.
(If you don't know what Sriracha is or if you don't have any in your house at this very moment, you're missing out on one of the best parts of life. Trust the Domestic MFer. Buy a bottle -- look for the rooster -- and soon you'll be putting it in and on everything: eggs, pizza, mixed in with mayo for fancy-pants spicy mayo.)

On goes the leftover pulled pork. I admit I was a little more heavy-handed with the ingredients than the size of my tortilla called for, but I'm telling you this stuff just so good.

Fold it and flip it after a couple minutes just to make sure everything is good & melted.

And devour. Don't forget the coleslaw!

Husband went a different route and made pork tacos with coleslaw (and plenty of Sriracha) inside.

Tasty!

The delicious and economical power of leftovers is one quickly learned. I'm off to the kitchen right now, actually, to see what else I can turn Friday night's dinner into. All I need is a little imagination and a giant bottle of sriracha.

No comments:

Post a Comment