Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Flash Dance

Do you know how to flash freeze? It’s the easiest thing in the world and is a cookie-maker’s best friend. Flash freezing is my favorite way to make a whole batch of cookie dough once and enjoy fresh, hot cookies for weeks.
First, make your favorite cookie dough:


Whee!!

Then, make dough balls and drop them onto a cookie sheet just like you would if you were going to put them right in the oven. The only difference is that you can (and should!) put them as close together as you need to in order to get all the cookie babies onto one sheet:



Note: these cookie babies are actually in a 9” x 13” baking pan because my cookie sheets were occupied. The lesson here is that you can use anything to flash freeze cookie dough as long as it keeps the dough balls from rolling all over the place.

Next, put the whole cookie sheet/baking pan/whatever in the freezer and walk away for about ten minutes (or an hour if you’re like me and get distracted when Cheaters is on. Don’t be like me). The maximum amount of time they spend in the freezer doesn’t matter. They just need to chill enough to keep their structural integrity when they go through the next step:



Move them from the cookie sheet to your favorite freezable storage container. I like to use plain old freezer bags because they are easily written on. I sometimes find myself with a freezer full of cookie babies (is there a more delicious fate?), so it’s helpful to have titles and instructions written on the bag. Be sure to use an ancient Sharpie that makes the writing all fuzzy so it’s sure to be indecipherable when you go to it later, ok?

Ever since I joined the world of flash freezing, I’m never more than 20 minutes away from a dozen fresh to death cookies. And isn’t that a world we can all get behind? Just pop a dozen in the oven whenever you feel like warming the hearts of your friends and neighbors, and make a new batch of dough when you empty the bag.

Super bonus: the experts in my stomach agree that cookies taste better when the dough’s been frozen at least overnight, and sources all across the internet agree. I’m sure there’s some science-y explanation, but I like to think that the ingredients just spend a little more time getting to know each other. Also, frozen cookie dough spreads out less than room temperature dough, resulting in thicker, chewier cookies. What’s not to like about that?

7 comments:

  1. What's the consensus of taking the aforementioned cookie babies out of the freezer, and letting them thaw out, and then baking? And have you tried this method? If you bake frozen cookie dough, do the cookies need to bake longer? One would think, according to the laws of physics, that the answer would be yes? I need to know before I try this interesting method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about physics, but please don't thaw the cookies before you bake them. You'll thank me for it. Cookies that are baked from frozen spread out less while they bake resulting in a thicker, chewier cookie. And frozen dough only needs to bake 1-2 minutes longer than room temperature dough. Put them in, set the timer for your usual cookie time, and just start stalking them for a few minutes. You'll figure out quickly what the perfect time is for frozen cookie babies in your oven. Report back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently have frozen cookie babies(I don't know why, but I like to say 'cookie babies')in my freezer. About 200, to be exact. I am looking forward to baking them. I hope this works, because that is a lot of dough wasted if it doesn't! I'm counting on your expertise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It won't be wasted, trust me. Just be willing to be patient as you figure out just how many more minutes in the oven the frozen cookie babies need than room temperature dough. I usually put mine in for the normal time, and then set the timer to check on the every 90 seconds after. Remember that it's okay to take them out when they're still a tiny bit underdone because they'll continue to cook on the hot cookie sheet. But there's no going back if you leave them in for too long and they burn. :( RIP, little cookies babies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. God! That was the most successful cookie baking time I have ever had! Pair flash freezing with parchment paper...I feel like I can open a cookie bakery! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I don't even use parchment paper! The student has now become the master! Invite me to the grand opening of your bakery, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap. I will never NOT use parchment paper when baking cookies again! EVER!

    ReplyDelete