Friday, March 11, 2011

Promote & Run

Hello, lovelies! I know I haven't been putting much up, but there truth of the matter is that there isn't much to put lately. My excuse up until last Wednesday is that I'm in a show, so here's a little shameless self-promotion.

If you're in the Chicagoland area (and if you're reading this, you probably are), come see my show! It's an intimate, true-natured telling of William Inge's famous Bus Stop (made famous in the mid-50s by Marilyn Monroe herself). You want details? I got your details right here! No really, right here:

The Guild Theatre presents: Bus Stop by William Inge
3/25 - 4/17
Friday & Saturday - 7:30pm; Sunday - 3:00pm
$18 general admission; $15 students and seniors
At The Des Plaines History Center
781 Pearson St.
Des Plaines, IL 60016
For tickets, please call 847-420-8079 (be sure to call ahead as seating is very limited)

***

So there's that. I was an actor once, a million lifetimes ago, and now -- by chance -- it seems I am one again. I'm like the Michael Jordan of acting retirement. Or something.

Anyway, the new excuse that took over last Wednesday is that we are now in the throes of Lent. I'm one of those Catholics who only goes to church on Christmas and Easter but who also feels guilty if she doesn't give something up for Lent. My second-biggest vice (second to Diet Coke, and - let's be honest - I am nowhere near ready to give that up) is obviously sugar. I obviously love to bake. I love to find recipes, make them, taste them, improve upon them, and taste them again. And again. And again. Once I caught myself wondering why there weren't any desert options for after breakfast, I decided I'd give it a rest until Easter. Sugar is impossible to avoid completely, so I've cut out anything where sugar (or its evil twin, high fructose corn syrup) are among the first three ingredients.

Goodbye, cookies. Goodbye, pop. Goodbye spoonfuls of sugar directly out of the canister. Kidding about that last one, but don't think I haven't seriously considered it on some of my more desperate days.

So with nothing to bake and no time in which to bake it, this blog has been collecting a little cyberdust. Not to worry, though. You're only bored if you're boring, right? And the Domestic Motherfucker is NOT boring. So until Easter comes, you can look forward to more than just cookies and brownies. I'm going to put an effort into making and posting more savory recipes fit to feed a family of hungry Irish Catholics and beyond. I'm working on pursurading my Aunt Linda to let me share her closely-guarded homemade recipe with you. She finally cracked and gave it to me, and it's just too good to go undistributed. Barring that, I'll come up with something. I'm going to have to find a way to replace all the calories I'll no longer be getting from a steady diet of Peeps and day-old sweet rolls, anyway.

As for this weekend, though, I'll be hanging up the first part of my moniker to become the Traveling Motherfucker. I'm heading to Las Vegas this weekend, and I can't wait to share my adventures with you.

Viva Las Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment